Sunday 29 May 2011

Every Street Lamp A Fatalistic Warning.

My word, just woke up from an about 8-10hour slumber! Have not had such sleep in ages, and boy does it feel good. Although in the course of doing so I have missed the Champion's League (which I intended to stream) sigh. Whatever it is, GLORY GLORY BARCELONA!!

Actually I didn't intend to sleep so early, so intent was I on finishing Life of Pi, but I just kept dozing off and I slept with the lights on hehe. So lazylike. So I'm maybe about 30-50 pages from finishing it, then I can embark on yet another book. My shelf has 9 books right now, of which 7 are as yet unread, and this is just in SAFTI! I can't believe the number of books I have bought even in the midst of confinement(s).

On a sad note, it seems I am barred from fastpasstv now and I am unable to watch anything now. Guess I'll have to spend my time reading instead. Or playing games haha. Another sad note is that the rest of the Konfinement Kongregation is gone now, and I am left all alone. Bother.

I will have spent about 50 weeks in OCS in total. Confinements/Not Gone Home: 2 in CLM, 3 for MSTD (1), 6 during MSTD (2), 11 on confinement (or thereabouts). That's 22, a rough estimate, cause I cannot recall any batch confinements or the like. That equates to about half of my weekends here not spent at home, or at least outside. It is such a sad thing is it not! Sigh. Never do anything stupid, or at least nothing as spectacularly stupid as mine own actions.

Here's a line from Life of Pi that I thought was particularly poignant:

At the heart of life is a fuse box.

That which protects us from too much pain and sorrow.

Here's one from one of the Konfinement Kongregation (or rather, it was a question and answer):

Him: You know how many memes there are?
Me: Nope.
Him: IT'S OVER 9000!!!!

Haha I'm sorry, but I just had to include that. In that conversation we have a perfect demonstration of exactly the kind of geeks we are, and the prerequisite amount of geeky knowledge, I might even venture so far as to say expertise, you would have to possess to be one of us, and to understand that joke. Seriously, it is a very funny joke. Although if you do actually understand, the amount of life you actually have (i.e. not being a no-lifer) is really quite suspect.

It's almost like getting rickroll'd! If you know what I'm talking about you should check out this nice little pie chart on Knowyourmeme.com about Rick Astley. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should still check it out, and click on the chart to find out what it is I'm talking about! Haha sigh I am such a degenerate.

Oh on another sad note. I was asked the shape of the earth in a quiz this week. My answer was: Oblong spheroid. zomg. The amount of ridicule and humiliation that follows a gaffe like that.. 'tis terrible. I think I'll never get over this! A sphere with corners? A cuboid with rounded edges?? A rectangle with a radius??? What a n00bz.

Also I went dragonboating yesterday, for the first time since way before MSTD I think. Pretty exhausting and pretty fun, at least I haven't forgotten how to row haha. And I got a tan too so I'm no longer pastyboy woohoo. Not played touch in ages though, I'm afraid the sidestepmeister is probably a thing of the past now :/ And I'd probably be so "chuan" after every run too haha. Unfit like a turd.

Which reminds me of how I was so............. words fail me, denied the opportunity to run for Sundown. Grrrrrrrr. Alright let's not dwell on it, instead let it be said that if I weren't such a colossal idiot i.e. the confinement king, I would have been able to run it (AND NOT WASTE $65 AHHH) and done many more things to boot (Read: No Pirates of the Caribbean for me nuuuuuu.)




True Love

There was a girl. Her real name is of no import, so we shall call her Jane.

Jane was an extraordinarily ordinary girl. This wouldn't have been a problem if the word "ordinary" hadn't taken on an extraordinary meaning. The word now stood for all that a person shouldn't be, in this day and age of extraordinariness. Everyone was a star in his or her own way, everyone the owner of a little badge with the words "You are unique!" printed on it, commonly accompanied by a picture of a star. Everyone believed in their own uniqueness.

Except for Jane. For no one could so openly lie, and tell her she was special, so unspecial was she. The only thing remarkable about her was her plainness, and of course nobody had the heart to tell her this.

Jane fell in love a number of times, primarily in her youth. Falling in love got increasingly harder as she got older. When she was young there was plenty to love. The soft scent of flowers. The majesty of a mountain. Gentle rain on a sleepy afternoon. The rainbow after the rain.

But her grown-up mind dissects all these. Merely a somewhat pretty effect caused by the diffraction of light through water. The result of plate tectonics. Life had ground her down, her love and her enthusiasm for life.

There were times when Jane felt acutely lonely. Even more than usual. The onset of which could have been caused by any number of things, say, a good movie. A love song. A book. Sunset. In this heightened state of loneliness, a certain despair would begin to gnaw at her. She felt that something had to be done.

Cue the boys. Lonely boys, to be sure. These never quite worked out though, despite all her earnest efforts. But none of them ever truly loved her. And if she were to be perfectly honest, she would admit that the converse was true too.

But sometimes it felt so real. Like there was so much more to be had. With some of them, she felt as if she could almost be happy. Always, she thought: I am in love! only to find out that no, she wasn't, after all.

And she discovered a truth: An illusion of love is created when two lonely people, each desperate to fall in love, meet.





So this was a story that I tried to write in January. It is very much a draft, actually. I have not edited it to my heart's desire, nor in fact, even finished it at all. I don't know what to do with it, so I decided I shall just post it as it is, unfinished and unpolished. Make what you will of it.

Well I think the story started out with that last line. I tried to fit it into a story, and there you go. Ohwell. It's not very good I'm afraid.

Okay that's that then, good-bye and happy sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment