Saturday 16 April 2011

Merely An Accessory On Your Periphery.

There is magic in the midnight sun
When the stars decline to glow

There is wonder in the parched ocean
Where the water never flows

There is beauty in the flightless bird
Whose wings refuse to grow

There is anguish in us mice and men
For love we do not know.


___________________________

His smile was torn
His soul was worn
All the pain that he had borne.
But what, truly, do we mourn
That on his sleeve was still adorn
His heart.

___________________________

I wrote these about 3/4 days ago. The first came about from a line off The Killer's A Dustland Fairytale, and the second when I was mulling on the words worn and torn. I soon came to the word adorn (borne, mourn, rhyming as usual) and remembered that bit by Shakespeare about wearing your heart on your sleeve for daws to peck at, so there you go.

I'm not sure if these are poems or wtv but I seem to be doing more of these of late don't I? I've been coming up with shorter sentences and phrases, rather than any long stories or lengthy writing. Can't seem to muster the energy to complete my half-written story somehow sigh.

Butttt today I stumbled upon this website, PoemHunter.com (awesome name or what?) and discovered that poems are really quite pretty after all! I was searching for the song which goes "on and on it seems to go, and you don't know what you've got till it's gone" or sth like that (I never actually found it in the end, do enlighten me if you know it haha) and instead got a poem by Edgar Allen Poe! A Dream Within A Dream.

And thus did I discover the world of poetry! I had abandoned this world because I felt quite inadequate (~50 marks EVERY literature test in sec1/2) and cause I thought they all went over my head :( But I read a bit of Robert Frost, Edgar Allen Poe, William Wordsworth and E.E Cummings, and they were quite delightful! Possibly cause those poems were in the top 25 list and thus more readily accessible to the unenlightened like me haha.

But yeah. Some very powerfully poignant words and phrases there! I spent like ages staring at my tiny phone screen cause I couldn't peel my eyes away from the website haha. So I was just thinking, Goodness, yet another area unexplored (along with theatre, dance, plays, musicals etc.) so I better retire early (50yr old plz) so as to have enough time for them all! Haha sigh.

Although I'm not sure I'd make a good retiree, they seem to get bored alot haha! Might be happy for a month or two, before boredom sets in or sth! Maybe drive a taxi or open a mamashop or rear a bird or sth then :)

I have many other things on my mind, I've been rather pensive of late actually. About precious and precocious people. About happiness. About cheap apologies. About Free Flow Escargot haha. But I don't think I shall continue now.

Here's E.E Cummings.

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

EDIT: Oh dear I forgot to mention The xx and The Naked and Famous (which I discovered from life! which is why the straits times is worth it, all 90cents of it). Truly brilliant sounds! Have not actually heard their lyrics yet though haha. But methinks me is biggie fan now!

No comments:

Post a Comment