Sunday 13 November 2011

The Base Of A Dream Is Empty.

I can't seem to want to go to sleep. Sleep is my jilted ex-lover. I was head-over-heels though, given that I woke up only at like 2pm today hehe. What a bum.

I haven't done anything today but indulge in movies. I'm making my way up empireonline's top 500 films, and I've watched Brick (Joseph Gordon Levitt in high school noir, what more could you ask for) and Superman Returns thus far. The appearance of Breakfast at Tiffany's on the list (not surprising) is perhaps the final push I need to finally watch it.

I also watched Christopher Nolan's Following. You can really see how he's developed his style from that to Memento. Pretty good and truly noir. Black and white films are none too common nowsadays eh? I think I really should watch Batman Begins soon, an obviously missing link in my Christopher Nolan quest.

Had movie night with my flatmates just now, an old movie called The Mission from 1986. Robert De Niro and Jeremy Iron and a quite young Liam Neeson too. Quite an epic, makes you wonder how people can commit atrocities like that, just like that. Although a quick peek at the history books would tell you that yes, they most definitely can.

Okay I'm gonna try and lure sleep back into bed (saucy!) so byebye *sexywink*

Okay I admit I failed. Clearly nowhere near sexy enough, despite the hotbodz :( I'll ramble on for a little while before resuming my movie madness.

I was talking to my flatmate just now and somehow we ended up talking about life experiences and stuff. It seems like most everyone says living and experiencing life is more important than possesions and wealth, but why is it that that's not what seems to be happening with the people around us? On the paper chase and the money trail, yuck. I hope I don't end up that way.

That's how I'm justifying hoing to watch The Naked and Famous at Portsmouth 2 weeks from now!! Hehehe. Took me all of 5mins to decide to do it and book the ticket, the trains to and fro, and the hostel since I'm gonna have to stay overnight. Y no midnight train :( I agonized over the decision for days, but once I'd decided I was gonna go it was a matter of minutes to finalize everything.

That's how it always works out with decisions. The truth is, it takes very little for us to make changes to our lives. It's really a very fine line between yes and no. Yes, I will go to that concert. No, I will not give you a chance. Our whole lives hinge on that fine line. It's scary.

So I've decided I shouldn't be so hung up over money matters. Although of course I'm a student, and monetary woes are a mainstay of student life. But I'm thinking... Phantom of the Opera in London?! Fancy that! Whoa. Keep the jealousy down plz. It's only a maybe.. but with every passing moment I'm considering the notion much more seriously. Hehe.

Unfortunately I haven't received an invite from either of my Finnish flatmates to visit during Christmas :( Haha the devious plan to exploit them to see the northern lights clearly hasn't come to fruition sigh. No choice but to spring an unwanted visit on their unsuspecting selves next year lah. "In the name of friendship, take me to the lights!" They won't stand a chance against my (future) pestering.

Although the tentative plan is Germany and at least Florence next Christmas if Basil will be there. And the US for Christmas 2013, also if Basil is there. It's quite gay that I'm basing my holiday plans on him isn't it. But that's just the excuse I need to visit Canada, and I'm pretty certain they get the northern lights as well.. Although I have this weird impression that they're a strictly Scandinavian thing. But surely the Russkies get it too (it'd be terribly depressing otherwise, all that cold and none of the sights!), so I must be wrong about the Scandinavian thing.

I really don't know why I'm not going to sleep. It's 6am now. Bummer. I'm going to reset my body clock by going without sleep I guess. It always fails when I sneakily decide to take a nap at like 5pm and wake up at 11. Then it becomes even more messed up, but if you repeat that a few more times... it stands to reason that one of those times will result in a righted biological clock! Or it might become permanently messive (massively messy that is) and I'll spend alternate days nocturnal and whatever-the-damn-the-opposite-of-nocturnal-is (I won't even pretend to know it haha.)

I'm halfway through writing a story now. But as is always the case when I reach the middle I am hopelessly lost. I usually start with a brilliant end in mind, and I try to make the beginning of each story as brilliant as possible. It's always the middle that stymies me. Like major stumbling block. I never know how to properly get my story to its brilliant end, and in the end I usually just putter about aimlessly, sometimes trying too hard, sometimes not doing anything at all. In the famous words of Me some time back, I am "bumbling about in the forest." Hopelessly lost.

That's what happened with pretty much all of my secondary school essays I think. I start of with this amazing idea, I wrack my brain for the perfect ending with a twist, and then proceed to fill up the middle with barely bearable rubbish. I miss secondary school essays though. Those one worders like - Flight, or Heat, or something. They were such fun to do. Then we graduated on to GP. 'Nuff said. Miserable stuff. GP was a trainwreck on the highway to hell.

Oh I didn't mention that my Finnish flatmates made a Finnish dinner which I couldn't help but finish (you know you saw this pun coming.) It was salmon cooked in the oven with like idk, a slice of heaven or sth. It was so flavourful and juicy and tender and just.. just.. magnifique! I wonder if I could whip up some char kway teow or sth for them haha. Or maybe it'd be a disaster (like my last fried rice) and put them off Singapore foreva. What a dilemma!

Okay I'm pretty sure this post-script is longer than the actual post was (oh that makes it post-post-script!:) so I shall end here. No fancy good-bye this time like ciao or ta-ta or adios or hasta la vista or something. This is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment