Wednesday 26 October 2011

Travelling Through Postcards.

Hiya there. I've been addicted to this BBC series called Spooks lately. It's about the MI5 and quite character-driven, which I really like in a show (that's why Criminal Minds > CSI any day, everyday.) I've charged through almost all of 3 seasons now, which is probably something like slightly more than 20 hours in total.

It may seem that I've made a hash of my life now, and I'm inclined to agree with you. Who spends 20+ hours over 2/3 days on a show?! At least I managed to go to Ilfracombe on Saturday, so that makes me slightly less utterly worthless than I'd otherwise be. Boo hoo.

The scenery on the way there was quite impressive, all hills and green grass and sheep and sheep and sheep and the occasional cow. Like postcards of countryside England, perhaps. But that was nothing compared to the scenery all the way up at Ilfracombe, which was simply stunning. I didn't take as many photos as I thought I would cause there are some things that the camera lens simply cannot do justice to. If only our memories could be condensed and packaged and sold like little trinkets, I'd make quite a tidy bit just on that trip alone!

That'd be wonderful. The memory of love could be distributed in schools so that kids could have something to look forward to when they grow older. And the memory of pain would have to be mandatory so that everyone would learn not to inflict it.

Anyhow. It was great that my flatmate decided to bring us on a tour of his hometown, as I'd never have known about a place like that ever. I'm thinking of heading to Bristol soon cause there's gonna be a Naked and Famous (sounds so sleazy and wild yeah?) performance there apparently. Insane in the membrane. Need somehow to cough up the $ required though sighhhhhhhhh. Sighzable (sizable) sighs.

On the culinary/health front though, my fried rice didn't end up in my death after all hurrah! Good thing my flatmate took pity of me and generously spared me peppers, peas, onions and chili powder, without which my fried rice would have been so punily bad otherwise. I only provided the rice, the prawns and the hordogz. Which means that he provided for more than half my meal doesn't it?! I really need to learn how to do grocery shopping. I am newbie pleaz help me.

I also have ulcers on my lip and tongue THAT ARE KILLING ME. ARGJHASHAJAHHHH! I need at least a syrette of morphine or something. Codeine. And the air is so dry that I'm having to drink lots and lots of water (so sensible, you might think, but that's only cause it would be highly uneconomical to be drinking such copious amounts of juice/other expensive stuff, much as I would love to.)

I woke up today in such a blank. Don't you get those days when you wake up and feel that everything seems somehow to be so meaningless, maybe even senseless? Then I thought how unreal life was, or at least the life we lead. Worrying over silly things, moaning over being out of love and somesuch, and we don't realize how extraordinary our lives are. Being able to talk to people thousands of miles away for free, being a mere 24hours of flight away from the rest of the world, any part of it, the ability to contact (not connect though, that's a different matter) almost anybody in the world, almost instantly.

Things that were unthinkable just years ago. Or maybe even a few hundred kilometres away, in some remote part of the world that technology has left unsullied. So that's what I thought, as I lay on my bed, that it was incredibly silly for me to be there thinking dark thoughts and about how meaningless my life suddenly appeared to be.

I also thought about the number of lonely people out there and given that the number surely is exceedingly large, that it didn't seem to make sense. I mean there are so many other lonely people around surely it can't be that difficult to be un-lonely! Perhaps people just aren't able to get past their prejudices and preferences and their ridiculous hopes and the fool's gold that someone better will come along.

Okay I will be heading to Yorkshire this weekend, forsaking a rugby league match against the uni rugby league team, unfortunately. I'm not sure if I'd have made the team though, although one always hopes. I'll be meeting one of my dear friends from China and I'm really looking forward to seeing her after such a long time. I'm also really amazed by how she could have gone to Edinburgh to study, truly brave.

Alright that's it goodnight folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment