Sunday 2 October 2011

The History Of Sadness (or Loss.)

There are three main arcs to the History. The starting points of each of these arcs are:

The Discovery of Love.
The Discovery of Better. (Good was not good enough.)
The First Act of Violence. (Perhaps also the Discovery of Difference.)

By no means are these arcs exclusive to each other. If anything they are impossibly entwined. And with them the fortunes of the human race as well.

There is no man alive who can chronicle the History in its entirety. Nor anything which could contain it. Not man with his mighty pen. Nor computers and their proud terrabytes. They are not enough. But littered throughout the History are many events which bear looking into. They include -


First encounter between man and woman. (Some reports indicate Neanderthals. Others purport their names were Adam and Eve.)

First illness and subsequent death.

War. Of particular note: The Great War (1914-1918) and the Second World War (1939-1945)

Departures at an airport. (Unique entry. Ongoing.)




__________________________________________


This has been lurking around the back of my mind ever since I watched Beginners. I only wish I had the artistic ability to draw them out like Ewan McGregor does, then I could do many more scenes. I was really struggling with what I'd include, some I wanted to but couldn't think of how to aptly phrase. And I thought if there were too many entries it'd be boring as well, although truth be told I'd hit a mental block about a week ago (I typed most of this on my phone, the trusty HTC Snap, on my flight to London which is also why it's a little bit short) and even typing it out I couldn't think of anything else to add. The airport bit is a tribute to Love Actually actually, which is why it doesn't really fit in so nicely.

I didn't use any commas cause I was hoping to achieve a curt, emotionless effect. Not quite as easy a task as I'd expected, I had to be quite miserly with my words, and had to phrase them in an odd fashion sometimes.

I'm quite curious what any of you would have included in the History, actually. And you could probably make one of yourself, and fill in the events. Exam results perhaps. Heartbreak. And then make one on Happiness as well. Birthday. First love letter received (HAHA. If you could only remember the contents.) I'm pretty sure the Happiness one would be so much longer than the Sadness one, in which case all of us should be pretty darn happy now yeah? Cause there's no real reason not to be, not when so many happy things have happened to us. (If your sadness list is longer than your happiness one, I'm so very sorry I put you through such a painful exercise, so very sorry.)

Okay then, that's it for the night then, one thing off my mind at least! Yeyz.

No comments:

Post a Comment