Saturday 8 January 2011

Our Hands Our Voices, Raised As One.

Men, stopped in their tracks. Then as one, a cry of despair they emit in unison. Hands held up to the sky in disbelief. The anguish on their faces almost tangible. Imagine that scene. That's exactly what happened when the dreaded words "area cleaning" echoed down our corridors. The "WAHLAOs" and "NABEIs" reverberating off every wall. Life sucks, and we know it.

And it's 3am now and I'm just done studying. Not that I did it with much vigour, whatwith listening to good music and all.

It's embarassing but I had always thought Belle and Sebastian was an old band. Like, way before our time. Surprise, surprise, when I found out that they were from the 90s till today. Maybe cause of the cult status they have, which I thought were reserved for like The Smiths or The Cure or The Who that kind of band. AND surprise surprise Belle and Sebastian isn't a duo!! Srsly how misleading can the name get. I feel immensely scammed. 7-8 people masquerading as a duo?! Haha I'm a noob man.

But anyways they're damn good. Current favourite is O Come, O Come Emmanuel. Amazing. And of course Carey Mulligan in Write About Love?!?!?!?! Srsly. Everybody say with me, omg fall in loveeeeeeeee. One more time, with conviction. OMG FALL IN LOVEEEeeeEEE!! Yeah. And Norah Jones which is a surprise. So they're my latest find, although you can't really say that. I'd just always assumed I wouldn't like their music when I heard of them in the past. That's why you should never trust your instincts and prejudices.

Also onto Camera Obscura and Imogen Heap and Frou Frou with renewed enthusiasm. Some of the most exquisite songs ever. And also I discovered Imogen Heap was the source of the Whatcha Say song, with her Hide and Seek. Amazing song that. Yeah this post is sort of about me professing my love for these few bands/singers/people.

And I have a cold too. You could say, still have a cold, I guess. From Christmas. Except I'm obviously not quite so delighted with it as before. I'm sneezing to such an extent I'm not sure if my nose still wants to be friends. He might delete me from fb or sth, sigh. Poor, sickly man. And forced into studying too. Will I get no respite?

Today was a rainy day. I love rainy days. Sth about overcast skies and the cacophony of raindrops hitting the ground, hitting walls and roofs and leaves. A soothing cacophony, if there exists any such thing. Noise is so important to us. Turn off the fan, or the air-con (if you're one of the privileged upper-class who have it haha) and you'll find the silence quite disconcerting. Oppressive, even. Btw the most oppressive silence I've ever felt was in the toilet in a library. It was the shit (:D). Imagine trying to take a poop while wondering where in the hell all that silence was coming from. And knowing that your pangsai hitting the water is gonna make the most enormous racket.. LOL. Disgust in Detail.

Anyway rainy days always bring about a bout of introspection and fresh melancholy. I can't remember, though, what I introspected and melancholied about. Probably about being lonesome in this sad lonely world or sth cause I am teh emo. After which I probably fell asleep and took a well-deserved afternoon nap. Mmmmm. Afternoon naps are one of life's precious little treasures. Ergo, there will be people out there who will try to steal it from you. The trick is to never let them succeed i.e. wear earmuffs/earplugs/listen to mp3 at max volume/lock your door at all costs. Yes, we hereby vow to protect and preserve our afternoon naps forevermore. Not that I'm likely to have much more of them sigh.

Also I came across this website which have some wicked one-liners indeed, quite by accident. I was actually trying to find out about a movie called It's Better To Be Wanted For Murder Than Not To Be Wanted At All. I'll put down some of my favourites in another post, for now I'll end with brilliant lyrics instead!

He got so thin, there must have been
Deep sorrow gnawing away at him.
-Camera Obscura

Oh there ain't no love,
No Montagues or Capulets.
-Arctic Monkeys

You've got to see the dream through the windows and the trees of your living room.
-Belle and Sebastian

I'm a lonely little petunia.
In an onion patch,
An onion patch.
-Imogen Heap

Heh gotta love that last one. Alright, have a goodnight, I have less than 2 hours to sleep so I know I won't! Life sucks, and I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment