Monday 24 January 2011

The King of Me.

The king of Me
Lonely.
His kingdom built
On jealousy.
He was bitter, and angry
Ugly.
Until he met somebody
Needless to say, she was a she.
She very almost changed his life
He wanted her, as his wife!
"I'll gamble away my throne
For a chance, the slightest chance
To call you my own."
She declined gently.
She stole away;
His breath away.
So there was he,
The king of Me.
Lonely.

Hokay. I was thinking of something which would rhyme with "throne" after mishearing the lyrics of Beirut's Nantes. I found the idea of gambling away a throne rather arresting. So I thought it could be an interesting variant on giving one's heart away. The king of Me I thought was someone who was stuck in his own kingdom of solitude and I assume he'd be quite bitter about that! So gambling his throne away would be him taking the risk of falling in love. Well that's what came to mind when I misheard those lyrics.

Also I have this tendency to try and rhyme some of the words and phrases I see, it's such a kindergarten/primary school habit. So I decided to try and come up with one whole rhyme about this king. It's supposed to be nonsense, so I tried a little joke in there too. Hahah.

She stole away; my breath away. I don't know how well that fits there, it was a last minute decision to put it there haha. I came up with it a while back and I think it's one of the best phrases I've ever thought up! I like it quite alot. I think it neatly describes someone whom you love(d) who has left you, doesn't it? And dressed up in simple words too. Hehe I'm quite pleased with myself you can probably tell.

Also it could describe someone whom you've met for only just one fleeting moment, who took your breath away, but disappeared forevermore. Or something like that I guess. It makes me wonder how sometimes it's the simplest words and phrases that speak the most eloquently to you. No need for fancy words or anything haha.

I don't think I'll be filing this under 'Story', firstly cause it isn't one, and secondly cause probably when the sheen of fatigue is lifted from my eyes I'll look at this and be quite embarrassed by it haha! Silly little rhyme. I do come up with lots of rubbish when I'm tired don't I! Sigh, nasty practice, that. So maybe just take away from this post the phrase I proudly coined, and the lyric I misheard.

And sigh, it's time to wake up actually. The week has barely started and I've already chalked up 1 x sleepless night. Ominous!

EDIT: I forgot to add that Neon Trees' Animal is absolutely beastly! Fantastic. Catchy groovy tune, and I like the lyrics too! "Here we go again, I kinda wanna be more than friends." and "Take a bite of my heart tonight/ Say goodbye to my heart tonight." Clever.

Also check out The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, I'm into the acoustic versions of their songs now, those from their smashing album It's Blitz, and especially Turn Into, which is a gem. Another nice song is Diamond Sea which is a cover of Sonic Youth. Makes staying up worthwhile hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment