Monday 6 February 2012

The Last Good Fight I'll Ever Know.

It's snowing!!!!!!! Woohooooooooo. It's a different feeling when you're not on holiday and it's snowing right out your window like it's the most natural thing in the world. Wooohoooooooooooooooooo!! It's been freezing the last couple of days though, I'm srsly considering wearing my long johns if I go out in the night, although it always makes me feel slightly loser-ish haha. Jeans4winners. But nothing serves better as a deterrent for school than frozen solid white precipitation bombarding you eh? Always happy to have new excuses to miss lectures :)

I finally completed my essay and it was a mess. Complete rubbish really haha. I'm hoping I'll scrape through with a 50% or sth, that's how dire it was. And I got a 2.1 for my first assessed essay so I'm plenty happy hehe. Never thought I'd be overjoyed to get 62% but that's how it is. There's no way I'm getting a first, ever. It's a pretty tall order man! And I was pretty convinced I was gonna flunk the essay. I've never felt so kancheong receiving any results before, not even O's or A's. It must be the idea that I was gonna fail it and dreading it like crazy. Thank god that worked out well.

I haven't really been doing much of late. While doing my essay I downloaded Final Fantasy VIII (only one of the best games in existence) and I was just so desperate to get my essay out of the way so that I could start playing it. Hehehe. That's what I've been doing since Tuesday. Day after day of Squall and Rinoa and occasionally Angelo and RENZOKUKEN! Okay. Mega-nerd maybe. I dontch cares I have my game to play!!! I found time to squeeze in some games of dota as well. We all know my wayward friends are constantly leading me astray.. or they just can't do without my skillz. I don't know when and how I've become so cocky while playing though.. wait! I've always been this cocky! Oh.

I watched Contagion at the campus cinema and The Grey in the theatres. I don't know but Contagion was oddly unsatisfying. Well, not really, just not as impactful as I expected it to be. It's not like anything was wrong with it; the acting was solid, the casting was superb, the whole movie was eerily realistic. I think maybe there were too many strands of the story waving around, and it wasn't all that interconnected. So it wasn't bad, but it wasn't fantastic.

I'm not sure what I think of The Grey. I'm pretty sure wolves don't behave like that in real life, so I was kinda dubious about the whole thing. But Liam Neeson was good. And I really like that poem.

Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day.

It's the "good fight" part that strikes a chord. It's what you want to believe. I always wonder, if (when) I'm gone, will people be able to say:

He ran the good race
He fought the good fight.

or something like that? Was it a life worth living? A life I can be satisfied with? Who knows eh? Let's hope the day is still far off haha. I'd be pretty upset if I were to expire in the near future. Hopefully when the time comes I won't look back and see a trail of destruction and neglect, to have exhausted my money and expended my love, all for naught. That would be sad. But there's still many many years to go yet, and everyone has the power to choose what they wanna make of their lives, so let's hope I don't muck it up haha.

There usually aren't such fatalistic thoughts in my head, it's just watching Liam Neeson trudge through blizzard after blizzard and having to fend off a pack of wolves haha. And reading The Hunger Games. Good stuff, that. I have such a weak spot for teenage fantasy/sci-fi action books. Even though usually you find that they are lacking somewhat in depth, and they're not allowed any sex or anything too bleak and depressing. But there are amazing ones. Everytime I think of amazing young people's series I think of Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. Was it Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen? Amazing stuff. I have to buy it definitely.

Then there's When The Tripods Came, the trilogy (or 4 part I can't recall.) Then there's Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising, which was apparently massacred as a movie haha. Then there's Twilight... you know I'm trolling. I swear 9gag is getting out of hand btw. I admit I've spent hours on the damn website trawling through the trolling. But it's incredible how a sub-culture has evolved into sth so massive it's 1-in-3 facebook posts.

I kind of doubt the majority of people from older generations get what in the world is going on with all the trollfaces and the lolpics and stuff. I have this impression that their humour is more direct, not so many insinuations and cultural references and stuff. It's pretty specific, I think, and exclusive. To a generation that understands My Little Pony and Twilight haha. It's weird to think of humour evolving. Sometimes you watch an old comedy and you think, lame!! and it's like we outgrew certain forms of humour. Weird man.

Okay I just watched The Fountain. Incredible. I'm still kinda reeling from how mindblowing the movie was. Wow. Srsly. I think Darren Aronofsky is epic. Black Swan. Requiem For A Dream (which I haven't watched only because I'm too scared too watch it, which says alot about the movie doesn't it!) The Wrestler (which I'll have to watch now) I won't pretend I understand fully what went on in the movie what it was beautiful nonetheless. Definitely one for a second viewing!

Okay I'm gonna watch Submarine, The Help, The Inbetweeners, Once, Transsiberian next. Clearly not gonna have enough time to study! But dota beckons, now. :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment