Thursday 23 February 2012

Castles In The Sky Sit Stranded, Vandalized.

Hello all. I've been absent for a whiles and you might think that it's cause I'm swamped with schoolwork and the like but... truth is I'm not. I've been having the weirdest sleeping hours ever, sleeping in the morning and waking up at night, and that is just ruinous to one's productivity. I can never get anything done in the dead of night.

I've been doing some late night cooking as a result of that, and I've just made porridge. Kinda okay I guess, but I have no idea how to deal with the leftovers. Such a novel experience manzz. Mushrooms, chicken thigh, peas, eggs, a sprinkle of basil and a whole lot of pepper. Just chuck everything in, pretty much a no-brainer. But I was really worried I'd die of undercooked mushrooms or sth, it's pretty terrifying. I'm always wary of fungi and their associates. And fish.

I haven't watched quite as many movies in my admittedly spare time as I'd have thought I would. I watched Sandcastles, a Singaporean movie which was surprisingly good, and A Dangerous Method. I didn't expect Sandcastles to be what it is, very well shot, surprisingly well acted, and very authentic. It was very relatable, if that's even a word, possibly cause of its subject matter(s). I never really expect anything too good from local productions, which is probably rather unfair to local artists, but at least it lifts the burden of expectation. It's in chinese too, so at least it was an opportunity for me to practice haha.

Keira Knightley has the most disturbing jaw ever. It troubled me in Never Let Me Go but after watching A Dangerous Method... Very odd. I knew it was about Freud and Jung but I didn't know a whole lot more about it. I definitely didn't expect the movie to make you think about sex. Not actually, you know, think about sex per se.. More like contemplate the topic of sex. Then again, it's Freud we're talking about so no big shock here. At least mothers didn't play a big part. But yeah. It makes you think.

Like.. why should we repress our sexual urges? Is sex a destructive force or a creative force, is it driven by ego or does it eclipse it? It's pretty interesting really, but I'm afraid I have to devote my brainpower to criminal law and self-defence and the like. But on my way home from the excellent Picturehouse I was just mulling over it.

If asked I'd probably shrug and say I don't know. If pressed maybe I'd say it's cause I'm Christian and I don't believe in casual sex. Then I started thinking, even if I weren't Christian, I'd probably still be repressing my sexual urges, I guess. Haha kind of a weird topic to be discussing, but still.. Is it purely a matter of conditioning that's made sex such a taboo, societal pressure? I don't see why we should let ourselves be confined by that.

I mean sure, it makes (some) people uncomfortable and stuff and I wouldn't go around discussing sex that's for sure, but I'm gonna do it anyway because no one has to read this anyway haha. It's just thoughts that the movie elicited. Definitely a fascinating movie, Michael Fassbender was amazing in it too.

Anyway both movies, while absolutely unrelated, had characters which stood out in my mind. The grandmother in Sandcastles and Carl Jung's wife. They just seemed... so sad. Like they had nothing to live for. All the wife wanted to do was produce a son for her husband, and that was about the extent of her ambitions. It's tragic isn't it? That doesn't seem like much of a life to me. And I'm thinking one day we'll all get old and our lives will have been spent and the day will come when we'll have nothing left to look forward to, apart from visits from children or grandchildren which are few and far between. And you're lying on a hospital bed for weeks, the monotony and excruciating boredom broken only once, maybe twice if you're lucky, a week by caring relatives.

Everytime I think of that I feel awful for not having visited my grandma more when she was in the hospital, no matter that she used to harangue me all the time. Sigh. And soon my parents are gonna be getting old.. Although hopefully not so soon at all!

I've just started with Bones again, and really, Sweets is just (Y). And I just watched the episode which featured Zooey Deschanel, probably the one episode I've been looking forward to ever since I found out they were sisters hehe.

I'm reading Dennis Lehane's Mystic River now. He wrote Shutter Island too, what a mind. Such great movies, both of them. And I bought The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I saw it on Amazon and decided owth let's just buy it. And The Perks of Being a Wallflower was also on offer, so I snapped that up too hehe. So I've got 5 books unread right now, which definitely sates my appetite, at least for the foreseeable future! But srsly it's all in the names. I've got The Fault In Our Stars, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Mystic River, The Angel Esmeralda and The Faster I Walk the Smaller I Am. Tell me those aren't brilliant names for books?! Or for anything else, actually. Titles mean alot to me. Sometimes I don't even blog cause I can't think of a nice title for me post hehe.

Although I've not been reading much lately at all. Waking up at really weird times does that to you, I just feel so lethargic that all I do is watch TV shows, not even having the energy for movies. I know this all sounds terribly pathetic, as if having no energy for movies is such a boohoo haha. But what to do, I am revolting and disgusting and utterly reprehensible. :)

So I did make a Valentine's day trip to Bristol. On Monday I decided to check out the prices of train tickets and found cheap ones that cost me slightly over 10 quid for a return journey, and I thought that seemed pretty fair! I thought it was gonna be an urban sprawl, and industrial, and very working class, but it turned out rather more cultural than I'd have thought. Which is a good thing! I spent hours and hours on foot and I was dead beat. I went there on less than 3 hours of sleep, which is not a good thing at all.

It had this suspension bridge which looked amazing at night, well worth the hour or so I spent tracking it down, getting lost and distracted along the way. I had dinner at a fish and chips cause it would have been dead depressing to step into a restaurant on V-day alone haha. Another thing was the frantic looks of men going home to their wives. You could see them fretting outside florists and stuff, it was pretty funny. Although the whole atmosphere didn't seem quite so overpowering.. as Singapore's is. Or at least, how I remember it haha. You walk down Orchard Rd and count the number of bouquets you see, it all begins to look a little lame after a while I think.

Anw I didn't realize Fox Searchlights was so impressive. I look at the films they released and pretty much want to watch all of them, if I haven't already. I wanna watch Once, Shame, Carnage, and other stuff. This Picturehouse offers pretty good films to watch, and it's just about 15mins away from home. Dang. It's money, though, that I am loathe to part with.

I'm really trying desperately to keep a handle on my spending. There's the Vatican trip, then there's my as yet unplanned Scotland/Edinburgh/Loch Ness trip. And London, and Cornwall, and etc etc etc. The thing about trips is that you can't cook. You gotta eat out breakfast lunch dinner, add that to accommodation costs and you've got a hefty sum. Not to mention transport, although with sufficient planning that bit can be sorted out rather cheaply (I hope). But, and I never though I'd whine about this, you don't get to cook! And that is so bloody expensive.

Look at me, maker of goreng pisang and porridge and alot more eh? Buying only cereals that are on offer, rationing my mushrooms and watching out for expiry dates.. Damn. My transformation from Mr Useless mere months ago scares me deeply.. I feel pretty aunty-fied now, I do. At least I don't have a newspaper for me to cut clippings out of. I can just imagine me greedily poring over the papers for deals on Milo powder and the like. Terrifying!

My song of the week is probably A Dustland Fairytale by The Killers. Idk why it's been stuck in my head of late, but it has. Lovely lyrics, ofc, and that video! Sheesh, man. Brandon Flowers has no call being so talented and so good looking at the same time.

Anw I was feeling kinda guilty about nothing - more specifically, doing nothing. So while I was cooking my porridge and brewing my early cuppa Milo, I decided to do an impromptu spontaneous entirely unplanned workout in the kitchen. Boy did I take my body by surprise. Now I'm aching all over. I would say, worth it! but I'm not sure.. Possibly I'll just slump to another 10 weeks of not doing anything again, buoyed by the fact that I did some exercise in the wee morning of one random night. Where does this end?!

Skype was pretty fun, I'm glad I'm not totally forgotten... yet. Hahaha. IWTGBH, AEAORP. All I have to say is that the second half of that is impossible to guess, so I'll say it out loud. And Eat Alot Of Roti Prata. Damn I miss roti prata. I think we should talk in code from now on, it's so exciting.

Well. CUL8R.

No comments:

Post a Comment