Tuesday 7 May 2013

Verses Of Comfort, Assurance & Salvation.

So my exams are starting in just about 3 hour's time, and I am kinda woefully under-prepared, but I am not worried. I basically have studied about 12 hours worth of Tort Law, since 10am yesterday, which is about it. Not ideal.

But as you can see from this title, which is actually the title of an Au Revoir Simone album, I feel comforted, assured & saved. I was just flipping through the diary I'd kept on the road, in which I'd scribbled down verses which I thought were gonna be helpful. One of my side-projects over Easter, I'd brought my bible along and endeavoured to finish Psalms, Proverbs, and anything else I could find time to too. Psalms 4: You have put gladness in my heart - I can't feel anything but peaceable everytime I read this verse.

I also got back an essay which I'd expected to crash and burn horribly, only to get a return of 66% which was beyond my wildest dreams. I mean, that's practically a 1st in my books! Although it did lend itself to this complacency I've had the past couple of days.. But I know I have some pretty divine favour on me and my papers! So.. enough talk about exams and results and academia as a whole. Can't let a couple of days of essay writing/problem solving ruin your mood for weeks can you!

I attempted to pack my room yesterday, I guess. And was fairly successful, except for my books. I'm not sure I have enough space in my backpack for all these books (now over 25 of them sigh) and I'm not sure how I should store them so they don't get damaged in transit too. I guess I'll cling film them, although since I'm sharing the cling film with my flatmates it does seem rather unfair for them..

I've also stripped my walls of my posters and photos. Finally I understand Imogen Heap when she sings: Oily marks appear on walls, where pleasure moments hung before. You cannot imagine the oil stains white-tac leaves behind sigh. Probably gotta get some lighter fluid or thinner or something and hopefully they can be rid off, or not that's my deposit down the gutters, much like 80% of bowling balls I throw.

My walls look so bare now. It's kinda sad. You never consciously think how much an absence of a thing/things actually matters until it happens. At least I've got the stuff I'm unable to stuff into my bag still lying around my table and shelves haha. Although that does raise more pertinent questions of what in the world I'm supposed to do with them in a week..

Been listening to new stuff all week, as well as old stuff of course. Blonde Redhead, This Frontier Needs Heroes, The Hundred In The Hands, Tennis, Icona Pop, Grouplove, and this one song from Neonfaith - Escape. The new albums Mosquito (YEAHYEAHYEAH), and those from Phoenix and Noah and the Whale. And Au Revoir Simone of course. Because I stumbled on this post about this super-girl-group Girl Crisis which posts two songs a year on youtube, consisting of female members of various cool indie bands. I know. You say hipster, I say hips don't lie. (Check out that mainstream reference btw, I am 2 cool.)

And started watching Community. Oh my Lord. One of my favouritest shows of everest?! Totally fell in love after about.. 2 episodes. Consumed 3 seasons within 4 days, and am now waiting for the 4th to end before finally watching that too. Pretty desperate. All I can say is that I AM BRITTA PERRY NO.1 FAN! I mean I love Annie too (uber cute srsly, to think she's on Mad Men!), but she's no anarchic cat owner. Gosh I am obsessed with the show. Guess it's time for chang.

Watched a couple of movies recently too, which honestly must seem like a horrible idea to any objective observer, whatwith impending exams and all.. Well, horrible idea is right, but horrible movies they were not. Princess Mononoke, Summer Wars, Tokyo Godfathers, Animatrix, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. And Quantum of Solace and Skyfall. Okay, more than a couple. The first few are all animated, cause of this amazing website I found, and all of them were really good apart from Tokyo Godfathers. Didn't like that at all, I'm not sure why. Didn't quite feel anything for the characters unfortunately, cause I did like the scenes of winter in Tokyo. And Final Fantasy was waaaay better than I'd expected! I remember trying to watch it years ago and thinking it was boring as heck. I guess it's the baggage with comes with such an esteemed title, with people anticipating gunblades or Sephiroth or something. And Quantum sucked, at least compared to Skyfall in my opinion.

Still intend to finish up with Miyazaki's films, still have My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service.. and a couple more I think. And The Girl Who Leapt Through Time by that other director. A whole new world of animation awaits! Which kinda sounds like that opening line from Pokemon..

Weather's been amazing, hopefully it keeps up for the rest of exam week, and then it's a period of hecticity for me. 15/16th May, London. 17th May, Uganda. Sometime in June hopefully, Kenya. 10th June, London. 13th June, Singapore. 16th June, Mt. Rinjani. 23rd June, Singapore. 24th June, NTU (and stay-in for one week too sigh.) So I guess no one's gonna see very much of me for the next 6/7 weeks, not till 28th June or thereabouts at least! A brief respite before heading back to work in August, and September isn't too far off. Final year here I come.

Whoa whoa let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Still the little matter of a teeny tiny tort exam today, human rights tomorrow, europa law friday, and lousy land next tuesday. Howellz.

Not a fan of re-using lines cause I'm cooler than that, but after that pokemon reference earlier I've decided I'm gonna make this my thing, so.. Smell ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment